Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Archbishop Chaput Appointed Head of Philadelphia

Archbishop Chaput responded with humble words that belie the vigor that he has infused in his archdiocese in Denver:



“Philadelphia is one of America’s truly great cities, rich in history and achievement, with an extraordinary community of Catholic faith that goes back to saints like John Neumann and Katharine Drexel,” he said. “I don’t know why the Holy Father sent me here, but I do trust his heart, and I do believe in his judgment.
“I know other bishops would have been smarter than I am, or more talented, or more connected to Philadelphia’s past. But I do promise that no bishop will love the people and priests of this local Church more than I will. No bishop will give more of himself than I will. And no bishop will try harder to help persons who have been hurt by the sins of the past, or work harder to strengthen and encourage our priests and renew the hearts of our people.”

Denver's loss will be Philadelphia's gain; hopefully the healing and restoration of the faith there will continue and flourish under his leadership.

Archbishop Charles Chaput Takes the Helm in Philadelphia

If you have not read it yet, don't miss Chaput's book, Render unto Caesar.

1 comment:

  1. I'm orginially from the Denver archdiocese and I when I found out about this, I was profoundly sad because Denver will really miss Archbishop Chaput. But he is a very talent and warm Archbishop and I have no doubt that he will do great things in Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete